By: Jack Jackshon .
There has been a huge upturn in the popularity of four-wheel drive vehicles in recent years. Most manufacturers now include four-wheel drive recreational models in their range, and the traditional workhorse has been joined by numerous "designer" variants. It is most important that you choose a vehicle that best suits your driving requirements. This book tells you how.
With over 30 years experience of using four-wheel drive vehicles on more than 150 expeditions throughout the world, from Iceland to the Sahara Desert, international photographer and author Jack Jackson has written this comprehensive manual which has again been updated and is now illustrated in colour throughout. Intended for owners and prospective purchasers, it gives sound advice on choosing, using and maintaining the 4WD of your choice, wherever you intend to drive.
- Details of off-road and recreational four-wheel drive vehicles currently available.
- Options for engines, brakes, tyres and suspension.
- Aftermarket accessories, including electrical equipment,
- jacks and their uses, anti-theft devices, navigation aids and safety equipment.
- Off-road driving - gearing, steering and braking. Towing and winching on and off-road.
- Driving in, and recovering vehicles from, hostile environments, such as sand, mud, water, snow and ice.
- Advice on planning expeditions, from preparation to survival techniques, cooking, bush mechanics and running repairs.
- Useful contact addresses for specialist suppliers, clubs and organisations offering off-road driving tuition.