By: Factory .
For the BMW owner with basic mechanical skills and for independent auto service professionals, this manual includes many of the specifications and procedures that were available in an authorized BMW dealer service department as this manual went to press. The BMW owner with no intention of working on his or her car will find that owning and referring to this manual will make it possible to be better informed and to more knowledgeably discuss repairs with a professional automotive technician.
Service Manual Introduction
This Bentley Manual contains in-depth maintenance, service and repair information for the BMW X5 from 2000 to 2006. The aim throughout has been simplicity and clarity, with practical explanations, step-by-step procedures and accurate specifications. Whether you're a professional or a do-it-yourself BMW owner, this manual helps you understand, care for and repair your BMW. The do-it-yourself BMW owner will find this manual indispensable as a source of detailed maintenance and repair information. Even if you have no intention of working on your vehicle, you will find that reading and owning this manual makes it possible to discuss repairs more intelligently with a professional technician.
- Maintenance procedures from changing the ATF to replacing the fresh air microfilter. This manual tells you what to do and how and when to do it.
- Step-by-step variable camshaft timing (VANOS) service for M54 and M62 TU engines.
- Cylinder head cover gasket and crankshaft seal replacement.
- Cooling system and radiator service.
- Fuel injection and ignition system diagrams and explanations.
- Information about advanced technical features such as Valvetronic, xDrive and DSC (dynamic stability control).
- Suspension repair procedures.
- Brakes, steering and ABS troubleshooting and repair.
- Heating and air-conditioning repair, including A/C component replacement.
- Body, hood and sunroof repairs and adjustments.
- Electrical system service, with an easy-to-use illustrated component locator section.
- Comprehensive wiring schematics, including power distribution and grounds.
- BMW OBD II diagnostic trouble codes, SAE-defined OBD II P-codes, as well as basic scan tool operation.
- BMW factory tolerance, wear limits, adjustments and tightening torques.
BMW X5 Models and engines
* Does NOT cover Diesel Engines
3.0i M54 engine, 6-cylinder 3.0 liter
4.4i M62 TU engine, V8 4.4 liter
4.4i N62 engine, V8 4.4 liter (Valvetronic)
4.6is M62 TU engine, V8 4.6 liter
4.8is N62 engine, V8 4.8 liter (Valvetronic)
Engine management systems (Motronic)
Siemens DME MS 43
Bosch DME ME 7.2
Bosch DME 9.2.1
Transmissions (remove, install, external service)
Manual 5-speed S5D 280Z
Manual 6-speed GS6-37BZ
Automatic 5-speed A5S 390R
Automatic 5-speed A5S 440Z
Automatic 6-speed GA6HP26Z