By: Rick Astley .
YOUR in-depth colour illustrated guide to understanding, repairing & improving the electrical systems of British classics equipped with Lucas, Smiths Industries & SU components. 1950 to 1980.
The electrical systems used in British cars in the period 1950 to 1980 have gained some notoriety, most of it unfavourable and much of it undeserved. This book shines a light on the subject, system by system, including the murkier corners. Whatever their foibles, the cars remain the cherished possessions of enthusiasts worldwide. This book’s contribution to making the electrical systems understandable and reliable will maintain the enjoyment the cars provide for many decades to come.
Based on a formula proven in Rick Astley’s previous and much acclaimed book, MGB Electrical Systems, this new book breaks down the electrical systems of classic British cars into separate and easily understandable sections. In each, the components and system as a whole are examined in theory and chronology, to show how and why they evolved the way they did. With hundreds of colour photographs and diagrams, together with fault-finding tables, the veil of mystery is removed, allowing the owner to understand, repair and improve their cherished classic.
This book is the definitive and indispensable guide to British car electrical systems, and deserves a place on every enthusiast’s bookshelf.
- Get-you-home help provided throughout
- Each system circuit explained with easy-to-follow diagrams
- Fault-finding guides for each major system
- Component evolution explained
- Clear photographs aid component identification
- Explanations, with diagrams, of how systems work
- Differences between home and export models described and explained
- Repair procedures for expensive or hard-to-find components
- Modification suggestions to improve safety, reliability and driveability
- Basic theory to help diagnose unique problems